Multi-pour Epoxy Inlays

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Rob the other day. After seeing work done by him and his mentor I just had to learn how it was done. Suffice to say it’s done with a series of shallow cuts each followed by distinct color pour. What I learned was VERY interesting and if other would like to learn how this is done we can do a special Epoxy SIG meeting.

Comment here if that would be of interest to you.

https://www.instagram.com/shaneshardwoodstore/

4 Likes

It sounds very interesting, count me in.

1 Like

There is a significant overlap here with CNC as well. I don’t know if you have an Epoxy SIG meeting or not, but I would be interested in this as a CNC SIG presentation if you would like.

1 Like

shallow cuts also sounds like something small lasers can do also. Depending on the wood of course but definitely 30W and above.

1 Like

Shallow cuts with a laser work great too.
In this example, the wood’s soft grain cut deeper
so you can see through to the raised hard grain below.

Pretty cool. (And pretty easy.)

Here you can see that with proper occlusion even 0.1” of epoxy can look solid and thick.

And yes, that’s the Austin skyline where this is how social distancing is measured. :blush:

1 Like

Let’s talk with Rob about this. We have tested an Epoxy SIG but it never reached lift off speed.

https://sdfwa.org/epoxy-resin-sig-show-tell/

Perhaps between Rob, me and/or one of his epoxy buddies or an expert in our community (I know of a couple) we could put together an agenda. Personally I was very excited by the multi pour which can’t be done by the laser and requires the CNC. Hence, having it as a CNC SIG makes sense.

Let’s talk with Rob and decide what to do.

1 Like

and if we talk about it enough we’ll start to learn about the techniques used. :wink:

1 Like

@DougL You’d be astounded how much I learned in 1:48:27 of talking with Rob! :laughing:

1 Like

I am a complete newbie to epoxy but very interested in learning.

2 Likes

I would be very interested.

2 Likes

Travis that sounds great, Absolutely would like to learn more!

1 Like

I too am interested in this topic.

1 Like

So cool Seeing my work here! Thanks, Rob!

my Instagram is @shaneshardwoodstore if anyone has Instagram and wants to take a look. That is pretty much the only place I post my projects.

2 Likes

Shane…thanks for your patience and teaching me what you have. If you are willing to participate in a meeting with the SDFWA I can tell by the responses in this posting others would like to participate and learn. Maybe we could work together to put a little presentation together - if you are interested and willing.

1 Like

I’d like to be in on that training.
What about using the laser sig in Jan.?

1 Like

@alewisca To do the multi-pour results requires the clean lines of CNC. However, to get really precise detail with a single pour the laser works GREAT. While I muddied the waters by mixing both concepts here, I believe “multi-pour” is the predominant theme of this thread and hence CNC.

That said, etching shallow depths with the laser and doing side-by-side pours can produce some remarkable results. We have people like Lance and Cassiano who have experience with exactly that and I’ll bet we could muster others. Shall we give it a try?

Perhaps this is SDFWA’s epoxy moment? :innocent:

1 Like

It was I who muddied the water by mentioning lasers early on in this conversation. I had not considered that multi-pour was literally pouring OVER a previous pour and as soon as @SDFWA mentioned the requirement of the CNC it dawned on me that was part of the technique required.

But considering there is some level of overlap, at the very least the video of that SIG where it’s presented should be cross posted to the Laser SIG.

2 Likes

I don’t know whether you’ll have this topic at the next SIG
but just in case I wanted everybody to know it’s posted.
Anyone can register for the Zoom link with a free account.

https://sdfwa.punchpass.com/classes/7480396

1 Like

Those look awesome. I would like to learn more about the process.

1 Like

Count me is for learning more about this technique too.

2 Likes