My first attempt at 3D

I wanted to try 3D in Carbide Create Pro, but even after watching the videos there were so many unanswered questions. So, I did a bit of Googling (disclaimer - have stock in Google™), and figured out enough to get going. I found a .png heightmap of a panther. Getting started:

Finished with the Rough cut:

Finished project:

Certainly not perfect, but not a complete failure for a first effort, either… :slight_smile:

Now - does anyone know a really good source for high quality heightmaps?

-e

You can source “depth maps” in Google Images.
In Vcarve Pro you can import a single STL file for 3D.
Lastly, if you’d like to tackle topology then source from USGS.

Thanks, I’ll start looking!

-e

I would just look for 3D object and manipulate them and slice them. That’s what I did with the plaque I made in F360. I generated the toolpath with Kiri:Moto which you can run in your browser.

Thanks, but I may need just a bit of coaching along the way… :open_mouth:

-e

No problem, I can walk you through Kiri:Moto pretty quickly. Maybe a vchat tomorrow sometime?

Not ready yet, but that’s a great offer! I’ll reach back when I have a 3D object I’m interested in and then we can find whatever time works for you.

Thanks.

-e

Doug, don’t leave the rest of us out of the session! Let us know when you and Ed will discuss this. Then let’s turn it into a Zoom session so the rest of us can learn too!

1 Like

I was kinda thinking the same, Travis… :wink:

Speaking of Depth Maps, I just got my 4th axis working and remembered I’d bookmarked a tool by ScorchWorks( of K40Whisperer and F-Engrave fame ) and holy cow he’s got more cool tools for us.

One is G-code Ripper which lets you take tool paths and do all kinds of things to them like warp/wrap them for your 4th axis(1st comment reply says he used X,Z and A. And easy hack is to use the rotary tool on the Y), scale, reposition origin and more.

But to what Ed was specifically looking for, Depth Maps, he has Dmap2Gcode to create the toolpath for converting pictures to milling toolpaths. And he does lots of great tutorials on how to use his stuff too.

https://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html
https://scorchworks.com/Dmap2gcode/dmap2gcode.html

PS, I’ve found lots of this stuff because I purchased a K40 and I purchased the K40 because of Scorch’s K40Whisperer allowed me to use it out of the box without a Windows machine and the USB protection dongle Corel required. Gotta buy this guy a few beers!

1 Like