Naval Flight Officer Wings of Gold in Gold Filament

From Amazon we purchased gold PLA filament and test printed the Naval Flight Officer Wings of Gold for Jim Bedinger, author of Patriot, Prisoner, Survivor, An American Family at War, about his life and time as a Prisoner of War in North Viet Nam.

Print time is about 2 hours and 21 minutes with a manual filament change.

Comparison of yellow on blue and gold on blue.

We also purchased silver and it is distinctly different than the grey from Prusa. Joyce has Christmas ornaments in the queue and wanted something a bit shiner than grey.

Thanks,
Rex

1 Like

That blue and gold combo looks good!
Was this one of your “swap the filament” jobs
or did you print the blue separately and simply lay it in?

Travis,
Very comfortable with swapping filaments. PrusaSlicer even tells you the estimate time to the change of filament - look in the upper left corner after slicing. And with that I recommend saving the project as well as the gcode. Of 20+ to date only one failed, the filament was jammed in the extruder and even though it “pushed” thru there was too much of the first color remaining.
I did a couple gcode controlled changes with 4 or 5 different filaments.
Not as convenient as the MMU but the success rate is much higher and a lot less issues.
Thanks,
Rex

1 Like

Travis,
The upper left window of PrusaSlicer,

The slicer change line,

and the results on a test file I did. (This is not the print from these set of changes.)
Rock-Column-Results-2021-11-27-w4334

Small because I was testing the process and still, five colors in some of these.
Thanks,
Rex

1 Like