The CNC I use the most

Due to space constraints and always wanting more toys …

I sold my larger CNC and replaced it with two: Shapeoko 3 and Nomad 883. They sit atop an adjustable height work table underwhich is a wheeled tool cart. While I like that this makes for an efficient use of space and added work surfaces, I just wish I had a larger garage! :laughing:

The CNC I use the most is a Legacy 3 x 5 Maverick 5 Axis. I have just had received it 2 months ago. It is a challenge to shift to a new work procedure after using one machine fora long time.

I use a Laguna IQ with a milling surface of 24”x36”. Still learning how to get full potential and look forward to insights from others on forum.

Lou, can you include your video of the field trip to Legacy?

That was fun and I’ll bet people would enjoy it.

Here is our visit to Legacy Woodworking in Springville UT

1 Like

5 axis! That is so cool. I am sure you will share a cool video sometime of it working. :slightly_smiling_face:
Susan

5 axis, that is so awesome, I’m jealous… .tool envy :star_struck:

1 Like

I’m jealous … tool envy

My hypothesis is that his primary motivation for getting it was to instill that very reaction in us all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Travis (and anyone else with clever solutions for space constraints), can you post pictures of how you have set up your garage workspace. My wife finally released our 3rd car garage for me to use (after 3 weeks of stay at home she wants me out of the house but still safe). But I’m still having trouble planning between equipment and tool storage, workbench, and space to move around. If I remember correctly, you have a workmate? I like the features and accessories. Is it sturdy enough? and do you think I could mount a basic router table top on it (just a piece of laminate with a router bolted on)?
Regards, Darryl

1 Like

I am working in the 3rd car garage space constraint as well for dusty, noisy, smelly tools.
I do my fabric/yarn making in the spare bedroom though because that stuff should not be mixed with the woodworking tools!
Neither should my electronics work. :frowning:
I have covers for my work spaces so if I am doing woodworking I can cover up my electronics bench. It’s not optimal, but saves a little bit of dusting.

I am real curious how your ventilation and dust collection planning turns out. I have a window so I am currently venting laser output through the window… For some of the messier woodworking I roll the tool out on to the driveway. Such a pain!

Susan

I’ve been thinking about options to online virtual shop tours.

Themed excursions into members workshops are emerging.

One theme is " Show us your favorite workshop hacks ."

Our of curiosity:

• Who here would be interested in seeing others’ hacks?
  • Who here would be willing to share their favorite hacks?

I would like this topic.

I replaced the right hand table on my SawStop cabinet saw with my Rocker router table… saves me some room.

-e

Travis,

Would it be easy with the Shapeoko to set it up for end milling like for joinery?

-e

I’m considering a CNC for home.

I have a lot of tools in my workshop, and a little space. I also have easy access to the member shop for larger jobs.

Given that, I’m thinking the Shapeoko 3 might be a good choice for my home shop. I would be interested to hear from anyone who bought a Shapeoko And wished they had bought something else. Or, anyone who thinks I should consider something else…

-e

Ed, this was such a popular topic about a year ago. The answer is it’s not “easy” but it is certainly doable. Perry Crutchfield went to great lengths last year to build an amazing fixture for our Shop Shapeoko. The results were amazing and I’m sure we could get the cut files from him again.

Check out the fixture:

Check out an extreme sample of his end joinery:

Truly he cranked out a minor miracle!

Ok, I received my Shapeoko XL, I have it assembled and dialed in (pretty well).

When we had the CNC meeting last week I was not sure of some of the specifics, so let me set the record straight:

• The cutting area is 32" x 16"
  • I got the Z-Plus, which added $250. I have 3" of Z, or close to 3.5" if I pushed it.
  • HD Eccentric nuts on the V wheels are now standard
  • Steel cores in the belts are standard
  • It comes standard with the Sweepy dust boot

If you have any questions, let me know…

-e

1 Like

Amazing how perfectly unspoiled you can keep that spoilboard! :wink:

Check back in a while… :unamused: