Rob's CNC Journey

We were really appreciative of the excellent presentation we had this morning (May 23, 2020) with Rob Sandstrom and his CNC work, including Holiday gift sale items such as Coin Bank Critters and Cheese Platters. His work is beautiful and all the more amazing when you realize he only got his CNC machine last November!

Have a look:
https://youtu.be/NqHF_8qEGCE

There’s a good discussion contrasting V-Carve Pro with Aspire and pointers on getting complex curved shapes and precise symmetry.

-e

1 Like

@robsandstrom56 that was a very interesting meeting you did today and while I do not have V-Carve Pro nor Aspire, I’d love to try to make that tray design. Many of us are learning Fusion 360 so I’d like to ry it using some of what I learned in the F360 sessions with Tim. It’ll take learning beyond what was presented by Tim so far. Any chance you can upload a DXF file or even just a top view image of the design and one measured dimension so I can scale it onto the Fusion 360 canvas?

That curved cookie holder will be a new feature I’ll have to learn because of those rounded termination elements. We were shown how to extrude along a closed path but this would be along a line. And as you figured out, the termination transitions are ‘something’ else. I also want to add the F360 skill of additional parts of an assembly( the handles ) and the inlay will be 2D in the 3D model but such that I can export the outline in DXF and use F-Engrave to generate the inlay toolpaths. I might even try figuring out my 4th axis on the CNC to do those handles.

It is indeed a challenging design so like you, I like having a goal/purpose. Thanks for showing us how you approached the challenge.

Rob has posted several files that were produced by or referenced in the video posted above:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dZaKVfdqXRCTOv88e60Dia622upSHwte

There are vCarve Pro files, Aspire files, and SVGs. Look in the folder called Sandstrom Files. If you have any questions or would like a different export format, just ask.

Thanks again, Rob!

1 Like