Digital tools embellishment of lathe-turned objects

Here is a small platter I turned, embellished with commemoration of our 50th wedding anniversary. Very sentimental!

platter

With special thanks to Sam who collaborated with me.

3 Likes

Stunning!
Is the dark lettering natural?
Did you mask with tape and use black paint?

1 Like

Unenhanced laser burn. It was all taped with the thin white tape. I’ll get a link from Sam for it but the luthiers apparently use it. I’m interested in suggestions on what to finish it with so it doesn’t lose that look…

The other big innovation from Sam is how to center the bowl.

1. in Lightburn, include a layer that is the outline of the actual bowl, i.e. a circle
  2. draw the square that is tangential to the circle on all 4 sides
  3. tape 1/8" plywood to the base of the laser
  4. cut out the square using the laser
  5. draw the diagonals of the square to define the center
  6. position the laser to the center and set the origin there
  7. if you need to reposition the laser to adjust focus, to get the laser back in the middle at the origin, turn off the laser, turn it back on, it will home back to the previous origin.
  8. to position the bowl, line it up on all 4 edges. a block of wood held flush to the baseboard, then slide the bowl until it contacts the block.

Good list.

I’ll toss in another tip that people often realize.

There are actually TWO Frame buttons in LightBurn. One button has a rectangle on it and will trace the shape of the box around your cut area. The other button has a circle on it and will trace the exact shape of the outline of your project. In the second case, it would trace the circular shape around a bowl or multifaceted sides of a pentagon.

This is quite useful if you’re trying to etch on a pre-cut odd shape.

That is absolutely Beautiful! What is the species? Western Maple?

Not gonna pyrography the bottom when I lasered the front!
I will definitely create a more elaborate logo and signature going forward…

1 Like

Here is the tape we used, it makes a huge difference

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Glues_and_Adhesives/Tapes_and_Adhesives/Low_Tack_Protective_Tape.html

1 Like