Plan for Session #2

Hi all, I hope you are enjoying learning Fusion 360. I am having fun learning more detail as well, and am particularly liking how you are asking questions, requesting subjects, making suggestions, and giving constructive feedback.

For Session 2 on Monday April 20, the planned agenda is:
6:30 Sketching Basics - discussion of “homework” videos
7:00 Top Down Design and Parameters
7:30 Show and Tell, Social Hour

Sketching Basics
A video I like on this subject is:
# Fusion 360 Sketch Dimension Basics and 7 Pro Tips Everyone Must Know!
As mentioned last week, Sketching is a key fundamental for creating geometry in Fusion 360. To really make the tool sing for you, you must get good at creating, defining, and using sketches. If you find some of the lessons a bit fast or short on detail, then I recommend the “Learn Fusion 360 or Die Trying” series. They move a bit more slowly, but include a lot of little detail that some instructors take for granted. For basic sketching, check out the first 3 videos in the series.
Lesson 1
Lesson 2
Lesson 3

Top Down Design and Parameters
Like most things in life, good planning in design is more likely to yield results. Top Down Design is planning our design before diving in, and Parameters are a key tool that helps us capture our design intent and then quickly and easily implement it. You can see a good example of the use of parameters in this video:
# Learn Fusion 360 or Die Trying LESSON 5: Understanding Parametric Design and Modeling
If time permits, I will walk through the design of the bookcase we did last week, but with some added design features, and demonstrating Top Down Design and the use of Parameters.

Show and Tell
Mark Stook has used Fusion 360 to generate toolpaths for the Prusa 3D printer. Fusion 360 is able to manage the setup, placement and orientation, support, infill, slicing, and G-code generation. So you can take a 3D model in Fusion 360 directly to a 3D printer. I’ve invited Mark to demo this for us. He has also suggested a video that guides one through the process.

We’ve tagged 7:30 as also being the start of Happy Hour, but it’s not really school and no one here will object if you start early :slight_smile:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Online Learning Resources