Beginner Class (Session #1)

Class Structure: We alternate Beginner and Advanced sessions every other week.

This week was a Beginner session.
Next week will be abbreviated Beginner, followed by Experienced.
To the extent Tim plans to include them, he’ll also add Show & Tell social times.

Check Monday evenings in PunchPass to register for upcoming sessions.

Thanks to Tim’s efforts we have the detailed timeline below. Many people have expressed appreciation for these indices and rarely are they as detailed as this one. When you get the chance be sure to thank Tim for this herculean effort.

2:00 - User interface discussion
5:00 - Question regarding activating correct component
8:50 - Question regarding orbit, orientation, viewing
12:00 - Change mouse buttons actions?
14:40 - Rerun of basic introduction lesson
20:30 - Question about fully constrained/dimensioned sketches
21:45 - Question about sketch plane not always being perpendicular. Later it was pointed out that this happens if we select a plane or surface which isn’t on the “activated” component.
23:40 - Sketcher constraint assumptions.
30:20 - Individual constraints vs fully constrained entity.
33:20 - Show/hide dimensions in sketch mode (all, not individual).
34:00 - Extruding the sketch
40:00 - How to edit a feature
49:15 - Fillets
59:00 - Is our design manufacturable?
1:03:00 - Sketch, body, component, assembly
1:06:60 - What is mesh?
1:10:30 - Timeline replay
1:12:40 - Component vs body - assist with detecting interference
1:13:55 - Modifying imported models
1:18:00 - Import a McMaster Carr part from the Insert menu
1:19:30 - Bookshelf - assignment video #2
1:35 - General Q&A

Tim thanks for teaching this class. Even though I had used Fusion 360 for a few projects, I got a lot out the beginning session (I also realize how much I’ve forgotten). Thanks for the detailed timeline of the session. I was able to locate the sections I wanted to review quickly.
I also got a lot out of you creating the bookcase design in a different way from the Youtube video to make it easier to modify. When I’m working on a project, any way to get it done is acceptable so I don’t often discover the best way to do something for a long time. I’m looking forward to the future lessons!

I’m glad it was a benefit to you. I wasn’t that keen on the bookcase initially, but I’ve been playing with it and seeing lots of opportunity to demo stuff. Tonight I will try to do the bookcase design “Top Down” and demo the use of parameters.