Chop Saw Fence and Stop Block

I had put my chop saw 3-9/16" lower than the surrounding countertops, but I still needed a way to add a fence and a stop block in order to get the most accurate repetitive cuts. I took a little (more than a little) inspiration from Jay Bates (https://jayscustomcreations.com/2015/04/super-simple-stop-block-for-a-miter-saw-station/)
and I built what you see here:

The stop block has a Kreg Right-to-left reading adhesive measuring tape behind it, and the screw head allows me to dial in the accurate cut perfectly.

When I don’t need it, I have it on a piano hinge so I can prop it up against the wall, and keep it out of the way…

Now, I need to complete the project with a dust cover hooked up to my dust collection system.

-e

1 Like

Nice Ed!
Did you lower the chop saw to line up the surface of your chop saw table to the countertops?
What Dewalt model is it and how do you like it?
Regards, Darryl

Thanks, Darryl.

Yes, I put the countertops at that level specifically for this purpose. The saw is a DW715 12" compound miter saw. I like it well enough, but would have preferred one with a laser on it. I added an after-market laser ( Oshlun LG-M01 Miter and Portable Saw Laser Guide, Miter & Portable Saws). The laser is… ok…

I’ve not had a lot of experience with chop saws, so I can’t give you a comparison. It seems to do what I need it to…

-e

Looks great. A recent magazine had a tip for a design like yours that suggested using a long stop block that could extend beyond your fence for short/small cut requirements. My current fence doesn’t have the channel on the face like yours so I’ve been having to clamp a stop for short pieces. A modification to mine may be in the future. Enjoy!

1 Like

@scubanimal - Ian,

One day, at Rockler, someone geve me a recommendation wrt a chop saw fence and stop block. I think it may have been you…

If it was, I wanted to thank you and make sure you saw what I did with your advice!

Thanks!

-e

Ed, yours sure looks better than mine! Nice set up!