Highlighted Lettering Due to Paint Thickness

Not a new project. A comment about painting and CNC work that became evident in the Hogwarts Express Based Address Plaque.

I used acrylic paint from a craft store. Not a big fan of acrylic paint. Kind of went on like a half set white glue. Yes, it does smooth out quite a bit as it dries. The thickness issue and the two coats turned out to have an interesting affect. I initially painted the lower banner blue then painted over some of the blue for the red letters. The result was “highlighting” as it outlined the letters due to the V-bit angle.
Going to try multiple coats for thickness of the base color to see how it looks. I find it an interesting effect.

Thanks,
Rex

2 Likes

Very cool effect and good to keep in mind. One thing which was going through my mind as I was reading your post was how a thin layer of primer might have helped with the acrylic going down. You can see how the blue soaked into the wood some and enhanced the effect under the red.

Wondering if it would be possible to have put down a thin layer of varnish and then put the acrylic on top of that to prevent bleeding color. In the close-up you can also see how the black bled into the wood.

It’s a great looking sign Rex.

Doug,
Agree, the bleed thru is undesirable, the varnish / sealer sounds like a good idea. I brushed the address sign. I am thinking several layers of highlighting color to get depth. Will post (if) when I try it.
Thanks,
Rex

2 Likes