My 😎 with Mask

After Ed’s wonderful Christmas tree I’m a bit embarrassed to post this but I thought it, designed it, and cut it. Gotta admit, I love what software, computers and digital tools empower me to do. Great stuff!

5 Likes

I like it…did you post the file somewhere?

I sent it your way. :blush:

Thanks…

Rob Sandstrom
Phone: 760-672-2081

Email: RobSandstrom56@gmail.com

Don’t understand the ‘embarrassment’ comment, this is some very impressive digital work. Great design!

What mill did you use for the final pass?

-e

This was done on my Nomad 883 which is great for detail work on a wide variety of materials but not for speed. When Rob opens the VCarve file he’ll likely be surprised at the feed rates. The Smiley is only 5”x5” and it probably took 90 minutes to cut but, to answer your question, when working with a 0.125” Ball Nose side stepping at only 10% it’s going to take a while.

For those not familiar with the Nomad, it’s the other CNC made by the Shapeoko people at Carbide3D. It’s “883” designate its cutting volume which is limited to 8” x 8” x 3”. It’s a small area but that’s it’s specialty … highly detailed work like small 3D cuts of metal or electronic traces on PC boards.

Oh, and it’s small and quiet and enclosed.
They don’t make it any more, it’s just been upgraded.
It’s now known as the Nomad 3 and has been enhanced.

1 Like

Being a CAD nerd but weak on original creative ability, I particularly appreciate the “thought it, designed it” part of the preamble. Having seen your seahorse, I know you have the “cut it” part well in hand.

How did you create the design?

Our local wood supply stores should buy a few of these from you to display at their entrances…

1 Like

The serendipitous sequence of events that led to this design could be reduced to 1) noticing in my VCarve ClipArt tab the 3D models I’ve accumulated and 2) “seeing” an interesting combination. The “Smiley with Shades” was one piece and the “Mask” was a second piece. With nothing more than playing around with merging them, I came up with the design.

Note: both of these 3D models were free in the past.
It really is worth reading Vectric’s newsletters.
They usually give ideas and freebies.

1 Like