No more Denatured Alcohol for Shellac

I have tried as many sources local and online and find that Calfornia has banned the sale of denatured alcohol. Although the CalEPA was mostly concerned about its use as a fuel, what are woodworkers supposed to do?

I am on my last few ounces of the can I bought at Home Depot in 2022. I have about half a can of Zinsser clear left. I usually cut it to get a 1 pound cut for final work. There is not any substitute that I know of.

Does anyone have any place to get it?

I too am frustrated as I will run out in a year or so. My suggestion is to contact professional furniture restorers. Likely though what they use will be expensive. Alternatively you can use Everclear or similar 190-200 proof alcohol. Again expensive though.
Crazy world we live in.

The solution here in SoCal: Arizona. :joy:

you can still pick it up at TH&H. The laws literally don’t apply there. Small supplier loop-hole or something like that (no joke).

1 Like

Hi Will

Went there. After 5 minutes searching, finally found they had one gallon left in the store. That would last me longer than I want, and be hard to store. Maybe later they will have smaller quantities.

Mick

ShellacFinishes.com sells 200 proof denatured alcohol right here in San Diego. It is listed on our Sponsors page, a subpage under Resources. They are an excellent company. Shop localo!

No, Travis. See ShellacFinishes.com. It’s on our sponsors page!

Thank you Tobias, I have been buying flakes from them, didn’t notice the alcohol. Wonder if he’ll ship out of state…. I’m no longer local… but I sure don’t miss the heat you all have right now…