The spareribs project

Ever wanted to reach up around your back and feel your shoulder blade? Here is the next best thing:

1. Take a CT scan of your shoulder and convert the images of the bones into a 3D model
  2. Clean up the model so it looks pretty
  3. Add some mounting cylinders

4.A Try to fit the model inside the build platform of a Prusa MK3

4.B Try again
  4. Slice in Quality Mode - Look at those supports (and 2 days of printing!!)
  5. Slice in Draft Mode - and save only 4 hours??!!
  6. Cut up your shoulder blade (err the model …) so you can print in parts
  7. Model “biscuit” slots to key the parts together. HarborFreight has a coupon for penny biscuits. I have an affiliate link
  8. Print and assemble the printed parts (still took me over 2 days - go figure)
  9. Print your collarbone (easier now than your shoulder blade)
  10. Add ligaments to hold the bones together
  11. Mount on a stand for Halloween …
1 Like

Folks,

When I first learned of Darryl’s ambitions I was intrigued but skeptical. He was going to create 3D printed body parts from MRI scans for instructional purposes. Turns out, he did and the program is a success. This use case just floors me and makes the point that we’re only scratching the surface of what 3D printing will empower us to do as we continue to experiment.

Other aspects that caught my attention were his use of water soluble support, his need for a multi-headed printing solution, and his source data … MRI scans. He was introduced to 3D printing at the Shop and went on to become quite accomplished, far beyond what he could have learned from us.

In his explorations he went beyond filament printing to resin printing. In both technologies he tried multiple machines landing finally on the Multimaker S5 and the EPAX X1. Another benefit of ths to us? He gave the shop his Photon S resin printer thereby introducing us all to an entirely new printing technology and its accompanying benefits.

Check out his pictures and his 11 descriptions above.

There’s much to be appreciated.

Thank you for your kind words Travis. Not sure if you remember, but I took the printing class from you. That was my first exposure to a Prusa.

metal biscuits! AHAHAHA

a penny aint worth a dime anymore … with apologies to Mr. Berra