Can't cut the mustard with this metal marking technique

Using a 15W Ortur to mark metal, even stainless steel with some French Mustard.

100 mm/min( ~2mm/Sec )
100% power
Using a line font

1 Like

Did you try this ? On your K 40? I’m wondering if it is a light frequency thing.

Mustard? Seriously? Have you tried it?
Chemically it seems to work at 15 watts.
The picture below is the etch from the video.

The air assist seems a natural.
When that file is out I’ll print one.
Based on all your prior air assist work
do you expect this will do the job nicely?

It did work on the K40 at 2mm/s 30% power and did not work on the 15W Ortur at 2mm/s and 100% power.

This(below) is on the Ortur at 2mm/Sec and 100% power

!!This(below) is on the K40 at 2mm/Sec and 30% power
!
!
This(below) is on the K40 at 10mm/Sec and 20% power

1 Like

As for the air assist file, it will only work on the Laser Master 2 and NOT our Laser Master 1 machines. Watch the video and you will see what the Laser Master 2 looks like. In the picture you can see it has 2 wheels on each side of the laser heatsink and the LM1 has 3 wheels. Worst, the Laser Master 2 has a piece of mounting acrylic on both sides of the extrusion/wheels and the LM1 only has the acrylic on one side. Look closely at a LM1 and you might even see that acrylic bowing from tension placed on it by adjusting the wheel tension.

Love he used a 3D printer nozzle for the tip but I’m thinking it’s either a 1mm nozzle or he drilled it out. Either way it allows for very little volume of air required and nice high pressure to blow the gunk out of the cut. Great for using a small compressor/pump.

Must be the caliber of mustard. :rofl:

Sounds like maybe a design change could have it accommodate the LM1?

If so then perhaps we could ask him for the Fusion file to edit. :innocent:

The modified Z axis setup for the LM1 works great but it really needs to be fixed so that it replaces the acrylic plate and with some longer screws and maybe some spacers that plate can be used on the other side of the extrusion to strengthen the X axis carriage. Then maybe the modified Z axis could also include the air assist.

But personally, I would rather have the air assist blowing the smoke away from me, the user instead of at me or at least to one side of the other.

I found this great video on testing different metal marking products. Sadly he does not test Brilliance.

1 Like

I just saw a post from a guy saying he doesn’t use any of the commercial stuff and instead using manganese dioxide from alkaline batteries. So I know what I’m trying next and I just found 2 D size batteries with leaks and rust as sacrificial victims.