CNC Compression Bit

Profile cuts on a 0.78” thirteen-layer sheet of ply resulted in zero tear-out on top OR bottom.

Gotta love it!

1 Like

Wow, and that was 1/4 shank, right. Nice.
Care to share the make & model? Also after you’ve put at least 500’ of cutting on it, a follow up would be nice.
Thank you Travis!

Any hints on your feeds and speeds? DoC?

0.21” DoC at 100 in/min … how’s that for a nerdy reply? :stuck_out_tongue:

This is interesting Travis. I have used a down cut on plywood and just “kissed” the surface on the first pass with .0312 DOC. Then leaving an onion skin on the bottom. We also talked before about leaving a small amount of material on the edges of the cut for every pass but the last, then doing a full diameter finishing pass. In theory this seems like it would give you the full benefit of the compression (downcut top surface, upcut bottom) bit. That said it looks like you were successful with none of the above and a deeper DOC and faster travel speed than I have used. I wonder if any “fuzzies” created by using the upcut going through the surface were removed when the depth became deep enough and the downcut hit them. In any case this is useful knowledge and I’ll give it a shot. Thanks Sir!