Deathly Hallows 3D Charm by Alqu948

I have now printed the Deathly Hallows 3D Charm by Alqu948 twice. I am not a pro at 3D printing and have less than six months of experience at it. To clarify or explain the structure of this project, the Deathly Hallows Charm consists of three parts. The outer structure, which I am calling struts, covers everything and represents the Cloak of Invisibility. The orb inside the Cloak of Invisibility represents the Stone of Infinity which can defeat death. The inner most structure represents the Elder Wand, the most powerful wand ever made. All related to the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowlings.

The first effort was a multiple failure print. I accepted the default infills by PrusaSlicer 2.4.0 of 15%. The struts broke while removing the massive amounts of supports, with settings of Everywhere. The Elder Wand broke in numerous pieces while removing supports. I tried repairs using PrusaSlicer’s Cut capabilities to create replacement struts and a new Elder Wand. Not real smooth on my part. Print time for this 4” / 10 cm +/- Charm was about 9 hours and 21 minutes on my Prusa i3 Mk3S+ using AmazonBasic Silver PLA.

The second print was done with 50% infills and keeping supports at Everywhere. Print time was reduced to about 8 hours and 31 minutes with a lot less in the way of supports. The Elder Wand still broke off, this time in a single piece. The struts are pretty rigid. Repair of the Elder Wand was simply use CA adhesive and set it back into place.

I would think a design change is appropriate with the Elder Wand being an independent object / print using a male / female socket system. Yes, this requires an adhesive to complete the print.

We are big Harry Potter fans and my Wife has 4 sets of the books in her sixth-grade classroom. The students read them and discuss them. Thanks to Alqu948 there is one more thing in the classroom to encourage them to read, evaluate, and discuss a subject, critical skills in education and personal growth.

Thanks,
Rex

1 Like