Entry level 3d Printer

Just finished up the 3D printer intro class last weekend and Rex did an awesome job.

Looking for some feedback from the group on a good entry level printer for somebody wanting to experiment with the hobby. I know the shop uses the Prusa and Rex mentioned some sound logic for getting a printer that’s widely used by the community. That would make it easier to share knowledge, etc.

Trouble is I really don’t want to drop $800+ until I see if the hobby is something more long-term.

Does anybody have any recommendations for an entry level model that would still be functional across a variety of different print types?

Thanks in advance.

Greg,
Give us the specs on the da Vinci you found on line.
Maybe someone has info on it.
Thanks,
Rex

That particular printer is gone from Craigslist, so making it a more open ended question. Either models folks used previously that were good ‘starter’ models. Maybe they still have something they would like to sell?

This one has received a lot of positive commentary on Youtube, although it’s included just as an example:

Creality Ender 3

1 Like

I have an Ender 3 and you will notice it’s the classic i3 design. Prusa created the original i3 design and there are probably hundreds of variations on it. In the i3, the X axis goes up with Z axis and the Y axis is the bed moving forwards and backwards.

The Creality Ender 3 I bought in 2018 works well, was cheap and has settings for Prusa’s Slicer software which is a very nice Slic3r. Hint, Prusa Slicer is a forked version of the open source Slic3r software which I’ve loved for years after trying Cura, Simplify3D and some others.

1 Like