Fusion 360 Sessions: Requested Topics

This topic is a good place for us to request topics to be covered in future SIG sessions. A few that came out of the feedback from the first session include:
Top Down Design
Parameters
Rendering and Appearances
Using an Imported Canvas
Importing 3D Objects including STL
Using Fusion 360 as a Slicer for 3D Printing
CAM - G-code for CNC
Creating Drawings and Cutlists
Exporting Geometry for Laser Cutting and Etching

Please add any topics that you feel are relevant. It’s your SIG!

Tim, I know you had considered design challenges too and we have one.
Rob, Mike and I are trying to model the tray you can see below.
The challenge is the cylindrical curved cracker trough.

Creating that shape would appear to be a challenge.

FYI, we do have a 2D vector of the tray.

1 Like

This is a great challenge piece. There are many different ways to do it, and we could all learn by seeing the results of others. Could you load the vector file here for those who want to try the canvas approach? I’m thinking that the next advanced topic - for May 4 - will likely be importing data from various sources - vector graphics for tracing, STL meshes for modification and 3D printing, and other 3D formats for taking advantage of public and vendor repositories. Even making this design from scratch is a good exercise in using multiple features in Fusion 360.

different colors for different components, bodies
stress simulations?
instances/configurations?
how is saving a file with automatic version # updating supposed to be useful?

1 Like

Hi Tim, I hope your trip is going well or as well as expected.

I wanted to post the topic idea while still fresh in my mind as I might attempt this as my 2nd project for Fusion 360. The idea is:

Model this tray in F360 such that the handles and the inlay can be done separately(exported parts/drawings?). This is a tray which Rob created in a combination of V-Carve and Aspire. I would like to model it in F360 then export at least the inlay outline as a DXF file which will be input into F-Engrave to generate the appropriate inlay toolpaths. I’m told just keeping the coordinate system consistent will result in F-Engrave doing the carving in the correct location.

The other interesting part about this would be using alignment pins so that the tenons for the handles can be cut on both sides using the CNC. I’m thinking it would require pins outside the design area in the waste of the stock.

My plan of attack is just like the plaque, ie use F360 to design, Kiri:Moto to generate tool paths and CNCjs to run the machine. Adding F-Engrave in there to generate the toolpath for the inlay.

F-Engrave HowTo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ty7ITWadv8
F-Engrave software(Linux,Mac,Windows): http://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html

1 Like