Fusion 360 SIG - November 9 - dust boot, wave art

Hi all,

We have a Fusion 360 SIG planned for November 9 at 6:30 pm. I’ll kick it off by walking through the modeling and post processing steps to generate a wave inspired artwork. We will touch on:

• using construction lines
  • modeling waves using the spline feature
  • sweeping a curve profile along a curve path to make the surface
  • extruding to a surface to make the solid
  • using a Slicer app to generate profiles for CNC or laser cutting

Other subjects of interest that we might mention in passing include scripting, add-ins, and apps.

Also, any subjects, challenges, or issues that people bring up, either in the SIG or in advance.

Hope to see you Monday!

1 Like

Looking forward to it Tim! I’ve been looking into scripting myself and while it’s not everyone’s ball of wax it another way to bend the CAD tool to your own will. Not to mention a great platform for others with far better skills than I to provide add-on which can do amazing things.

I too was thinking of using the slicer to create the profiles but someone in my CAD tool forum mentioned dividing up the 3D model in CAD and then dealing with the parts that way. One might be better for reducing redundant workload but not sure which yet.

And by doing the design in CAD, scaling the project is just a few parameters away.
See ya Monday!

Update: Dallas will be sharing his experiences designing and printing the new Shapeoko dust collector made necessary by the upgrade of the Z-axis heads. Reminder, it’s on Monday at 6:30. Check PunchPass to get the Zoom link.

1 Like

Here is a link to the Fusion 360 file for the Wave art discussed in the SIGhttps://a360.co/2U8K7tA

the links shared in the chat window were:
https://pwncnc.com/purchase/ols/products/dust-boot-v2

1 Like

Thanks for another very informative meeting Tim. I’ve run across the need for using construction lines over the past few weeks and again today. They and the sketch element of these GUI CAD tools really are a treat to work with. Getting the thought processes down on how to use them is something only practice practice practice can reinforce. I made a star today to keep a TP roll circular and ran into hiccups until I found the more elegant usage pattern for construction lines and components.

And thanks Dallas for explaining your design insights on the dust boot camping system.