Relaunch of the Design SIG - February 15

Hi all

You may have noticed that the name of this discussion group has been changed from Fusion 360 SIG to Design SIG. Here is some of the logic that was discussed between Travis and some others in the group.
We’ve covered a number of basic topics for learning how to use Fusion 360. More backup can be found on Youtube, and in the Help section of AutoDesk. In particular, the Self Paced Learning section has a number of tutorials and videos that cover specific functionality.

Fusion 360 is only one of a number of software packages that members use in design of projects. We were introduced to FreeCAD by @DougL. Julia Cornuelle teaches a class on Sketch-up for SDFWA, and I’m hoping we can involve her talents as a skilled educator to expand the Design SIG.

For other various digital processes like CNC, Laser, and 3D Printing we use other packages like V-carve, Aspire, Lightburn, and various other slicers and extensions. We are hoping that by broadening and integrating our discussions, lessons, and demos, we can be more useful to more members and expand the group.

For this upcoming Monday evening, let’s plan to get together and spend at least part of the time talking as a group about what we would like to see the SIG grow into, and what we can gain from it. Your input is requested so that we can best tailor future SIG agendas.

If time permits, I will run through a relatively simple parametric design of an angled vacuum fitting that can be customised to fit different hoses etc. I developed this design to 3D print fittings that would allow me to use my shop vac to collect dust from a few of the tools in my little home shop - belt and orbital sander, table saw.

During the latest lockdown, I bought a 3D resin printer and used it to make parts that were designed in Fusion 360. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a Fusion 360 post processor for resin printing, so I exported STL files and used the Chitubox slicer to add supports and slice the designs. If time permits I can briefly demo this.

Also, I picked up a small 3018 CNC “engraver”. It’s pretty small and weak, but it is useful for making small items and particularly for learning to use Fusion 360 to generate the G-code. The process and principles are the same as for other CNC routers, and I’m finding that Fusion 360 actually has some fairly sophisticated functions for routing designs. In a future SIG, I’ll share some of these features if there is an interest.

See you on Monday!

Very nice and I like the idea. For example discussing slicers and what to look for in routing functionality and features. One of the reasons I like Kiri:Moto is not only does it work well for the workflow I’m used(separate tools for separate tasks) but like LightBurn I’ve got to know the developer and through conversations they’ve been responsive enough to add features I’ve shown interest in.

Looking forward to Monday as I’ve missed our more frequent gatherings geeking out over CAD.

Hi Tim,

I don’t see a Design SIG listed in punchpass for 2/8. There is one listed for 2/15 though. Can you please get this updated so that folks are able to join?

Thanks,
David

Hi David

Thanks for catching that! My mistake, the Design SIG is scheduled for the 15th. So we will see you next Monday instead of this Monday.

Best,
Tim

@tim.peachey during the meeting you mentioned you’d tried Kiri:Moto and it sounded like you tried for your new SLA machine. Is that correct or was it used for your FDM 3D printer?

Also, what SLA printer did you get?

I’d like to know so I can provide the feedback to the developer.

I promised the group access to the custom vacuum elbow that was demonstrated at this meeting. Here is the link https://a360.co/3bj0nBC so feel free to download and use it.

The flange is included in this design, but it is easy to find in the timeline at the bottom of the screen, it is labelled and is the third feature from the end. Right click on the feature and select “Suppress Features” and it will disappear, if you so choose.