Threaded Brass Insert

Can someone help David with this request?

Date: December 18, 2020 at 18:04:17 PST

I want to know where I can buy the brass fittings in the attached photos. Some leatherworking needles I ordered came in a wooden etui and I want to make some of my own. Thanks for any pointers.

best,

Dave Blaine

With the rulers in the pictures being completely useless for determining the diameter of the brass part, the best I could find was a 25mm diameter part( https://www.prokraft.co.uk/woodturners-large-brass-thread-25mm.html ) and if you search their site for the BTi model you’ll see a smaller diameter but would require filing to get surface to surface fitting. A guess would be that the desired diameter is closer to 18-20mm OD.

Gobbs of needle cases on Amazon for cheap so maybe get one of those just for the fittings.

1 Like

I would start with a woodturning supply store. Check out Penn State Industries (pennstateind.com).

Besides the fittings, you will need a system to drill the center of the blank like you would a pen, and mandrels to support turning symmetrically around the center hole.

-e

1 Like

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: Brass Fitting
To: Travis Good

Thanks! I appreciate it. The answers were very helpful; found just what I was looking for.

best,
–dave