Vbit diameter comparison

Are there any significant advantages or disadvantages for using a 1/2” vs 1/4” diameter vbit for engraving and working on inlays? Assuming the same angle bit of course.

Also should a steeper angle engraving bit, say 20 pr 30 deg allow for greater detail engraving?

With a 0.5” diameter you’ll have a longer diagonal and can therefore cut deeper more easily. As for the sharper angle bits, yes, you can engrave greater detail. The diameters of 20 and 30 degree bits are narrower than 60 and 90 so more can be engraved in smaller areas

I just did some children’s / holiday sign work with a 90 degree V Bit and run with then reset the G Code for a 60 degree V Bit run. And I really like the 60 degree V Bit better for the sign lettering. Both as deep, 0.3" so the 90 degree V Bit is obviously wider. However, the 60 degree V Bit looks so much better in relationship between depth and width and the letters have just that much space between them.
Maybe run 90, 60, 45, 30, etc. V Bits with a semi-complex word, “Christmas - 90”(?), “Christmas - 60”(?) etc. on separate lines to see how they look and keep them as a reference.
Thanks,
Rex

Show us samples!
I’ve found that bigger cuts need wider angles.
Then again, if you need a second bit for clearing then I guess it doesn’t matter.

I’m trying to carve an inlay with this image. I’ve set up my wood as either 6"x6" or 10"x10". I’ve tried using both Carbide Create and VCarvePro. I can get it all set up but the preview of the tool paths don’t seem quite right. In the image I also add a couple of circles around the image that differ in radius by 0.25" and added some text so the turtle image gets a lot smaller.

I’m still playing with varying tool paths and bits. Some of the details seem pretty small for a 60 deg vbit though it could work. I was thinking of using a 20 or 30 deg engraving or vbit instead.

Thoughts?

celticturtle

Princess Lilli the Bean of Candyland is modeling one of the signs. The one she is holding is cut with a 90 degree V Bit to a depth of 0.25" for the letters (only). The numbers were cut to 0.15". The letters run together at this size.
The next runs were done with a 60 degree V Bit with the letters to 0.25" and the numbers again to 0.15". Much better presentation.
Thanks,
Rex

1 Like

With this detail and precision a lesson I learned is let the CNC surface the material on its first pass. Amazing how even slight irregularities in surface Z come out.
Yes, adds time. Several carving and “engraving” projects went right to the fire box wood pile.
Thanks,
Rex