How to buy a table saw?

I enlist knowledgeable woodworkers to provide me with some advice:
Since the shop is closed and I find myself in need of a table saw for kitchen and bathroom cabinet construction.

What resources should I be looking at to help me make a decision? What things should I be looking for when shopping? Are contractor saws suitable or do I really need a cabinet saw for precise cuts? What about hybrid saws? Dust collection? Scoring blade?

This saw came up on craigslist. (https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/tls/d/san-diego-grizzly-table-saw/7118443000.html) Look pretty good to me, but what The Experts think?

I have 220v power available and a shop vac is the extent of my current dust collection system.

I am going to the member shop this Saturday some time between 11am and 3pm to check out some books on cabinets. If there is a book on table saws that anyone recommends I can look for that while I’m there.

Thank you very much.
-josh

Josh,

I am a hobbyist woodworker so others may disagree with me.

A cabinet saw is not any more or less accurate than a non-cabinet saw. What it states or implies is that the saw has a fully enclosed base. This really helps with sawdust control. I use a cabinet saw primarily for sawdust control. My dust control system is attached to the cabinet section sucking sawdust. I still get sawdust throughout the shop. It just happens. A “construction table saw” has an open bottom and throws sawdust all over the place. I enclosed a friend’s construction saw with ¼” plywood and he has pretty good sawdust control with it.

The accuracy of the saw is manufactured into it by the design and manufacturing process. From that point on, how easy is it to align as things change? Most good table saws, known by trade names and brands, are pretty easy to align and they only need is occasionally. So, stick with the name brand stuff you recognize – Delta, Shopsmith, Rockwell, Ryobi, etc. Chicago Electric – Harbor Freight – my luck is not good.

Try to see them on the sales floors. Are they solid, rigid, in construction? Do the fences move or jiggle when locked and REASONABLE pressure is put against them. Do the miters jiggle left and right even the least bit when in their slots?

Power. (Just to complete the presentation for others.) Can you operate 125 VAC only or 220/240 as well. Power – volts x amps is watts and watts is power. Power means cutting a piece of 2” Oak or not cutting a 2” piece of Oak. What power do you need? Cheaper to buy power once and not use it than to not buy it the first time and have to buy it later.

Where does the rip fence sit in relation to how the blade tilts? Saws are left or right handed. I was taught by my dad NEVER to cut with the saw blade angled towards the fence. Just how I define it, if the saw blade above the table tilts right as you move it off vertical, it is a right handed saw. In this case I would want the rip fence to move to the left side of the blade. Why is this important in MY opinion, based on my education? If the blade tilts towards the rip fence you are creating a tunnel for the wood to pass through. As the wood distorts with the cut it will bind on the blade, possibly creating a stall situation. Wood has a grain and as it is cut you can expect this grain to change the shape of the wood.

How big a blade do you need? 10” is the most common for a shop and that allows cutting just over 3 ½” in most cases. This is due to the arbor and blade drive attachments. A 7 1/2” blade is probably good for just over 2”. Again, bigger the first time is better than having to buy a larger one later.

Personally I run a Delta 10” cabinet saw and do a lot of my work on it. I also run three different Shopsmiths. All four systems are 10” blades. The Shopsmiths are super in my opinion. They are 95%+ of what a table saw will do and they will do a lot more than any table saw will ever do as they are multi-tool systems from the outset. I cut hardwood, Oak, Maple, Walnut, up to 1” thick on them without a problem. And the Shopsmiths are variable speed so I can select the blade and cut – rip or cross cut, and speed for the wood. Beyond 1” thick hardwood it is the Delta. I do all my turning on my Shopsmiths, the best lathes I have ever used. As a power base I use them to power my belt sander, strip sander, band saw, and as a horizontal and vertical drill press. So I am a big fan of Shopsmiths. However, they have their limitations, as any tool does.

And I have one for sale. I am trying to recover floor space in my shop due to a recent CNC purchase.

Thanks,

Rex

1 Like

Rex-
Thank you for this information and clearing up some of my misconceptions. I was not familiar with the Shopsmith machines, they seem to be a pretty compelling option for a home shop.

The research continues…

Thanks-
-josh

Josh,

Rex’ information is very good. I would only add that you should look for a fence that attaches only at the front rather than some that pinch between front and back. More square cuts and fewer kickbacks.

When my old Craftsman died I went shopping. When my wife and I saw the SawStop she said, “I don’t care which model you get, but that is the brand you’re getting”.

I know they are expensive, but cheap compared to losing a finger. They are also well made and accurate. I run a Saw Stop cabinet daw and love it.

-e

1 Like

I have used SawStop saws and I find them to be outstanding machines. Their low-end cabinet saw or contractor saw are among my considerations. Thanks for the tip about the fence.

Josh,
My brother is a retired cabinet maker and absolutely loves his SawStop system. It is impressive and well worth consideration.
Kickbacks are an issue of education, proper use of riving knifes, and alignments. A kickback occurs when the rear of the blade, which is rising, catches the side of the kerf, the cut, and starts to raise the wood off the table. At that point the wood is coming up off the table, grabbed by one tooth of the saw, and is going to be pushed, at high speed, approximately 90 MPH for a 10" blade at 3,000 RPM, back at the operator. You defeat it by keeping the wood down, often held down by “pawls” as I learned them and they are also “toothed” to prevent movement back at the operator, on the riving knife.
Part of this is keeping the blade and the fence in as close to perfect alignment as possible. So the process is 1 - Align the blade to the miter tracks on the table, 2 - Align the miter to the saw blade for 90 degrees, then adjust its gauge markings to 90 degrees, then 3 - Align the rip fence to the blade so it is parallel to the blade. One of the reasons you want to make sure you understand how to align the the blade to the table.
If you are ripping wood and the surfaces of the cut are burned or scored, something is most likely out of alignment. OR, the wood, as I just had happen, relieving its stress as I cut it. One piece closed the kerf, another piece opened it. Always fun working with wood.
Thanks,
Rex

Josh,
Rob wants to set up a Zoom meeting with me sometime in the next couple of days. Are you planning to come up and see the Shopsmith, no requirement to buy. If so, what timeframe? I am home all weekend.
Thanks,
Rex
Cell 760-803-5213