Low-cost Diode Laser Buy

Marty, your current version could work but both the Ortur Laser and LightBurn software have gone through many changes in two years.

The simple answer is your DSP version is a superset of the GRBL version so you don’t need different software to run Ortur. It’s just a question of whether a copy that old will work.

Give it a try and let us know. Worst case you buy LightBurn again. The new version of GRBL LightBurn only costs $10 after the discount.

Ok, so I have confirmed that the GCode version of LightBurn works just fine on the Ortur lasers. My first attempt…

As you can see, I am just starting with the lessons!

-e

1 Like

That WiFi symbol is so very crisp!
Have you tried scanning the QR code?
You know, a correct scan is the ultimate test. :wink:

Congratulations!

Yes, it scanned great on first try. I think it was because my laser power was set rather low, speed=200, power=20%

Oh, this hasn’t even been sanded at all.

-e

I have mine assembled (arrived damaged) and ready to hook up. Question, what should the focal length be set at? Seems like a good first cut test.
Thx

On the Zoom call the other day someone said 55 mm … I think that’s right. Anyone remember differently?

55mm is correct. Then, you adjust the focus ring to get the sharpest focus possible.

-e

So, I have a sure-to-be-simple problem I have not yet solved.

My Ortur, in it’s home position (far left and back) thinks it is at the lower left corner of the project. Set this way, it scans the project so that the top is to the right, the left is to the back, etc. If I click the right facing arrow on the LightBurn move panel, it moves one click toward me along what should be the X axis.

I need to figure out how to fix it so that it rotates it’s orientation 90° counter-clockwise.

Is this a change in LightBurn, done with GRBL in the console, or am I just in need of a visit to a competent shrink?

@Justin-Ortur, any ideas on this?

-e

Sorry but i’m also not very familiar with LightBurn yet.

Anyway, maybe this would be useful for you:

If the problem sitll couldn’t fixed, please let me know, i would check with Jason from LightBurn and get back to you then.

Ed, compare your configuration to this, especially where the origin is located.

OrturLightBurnConfig

It’s not a matter of origin. When I turn my laser on or it the home button in LightBurn, it goes to the back left, where both limit switches engage, and I believe this is the correct behavior.

LightBurn also sees this position as x=0, y=0. It really should see this as x=5.9, y=0.

@SDFWA, my config does look much like yours…
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 11.07.13 AM

-e

Suggestion: Rotate Your Machine
It may be you who is 90 degrees out of sync. 
Ortur Axes

I have found that using “go to position” coordinates and “find current position” coordinates to be easier to use than the move arrows. That said I am still confused by the whole coordinate thing, If I want to get the origin someplace specific the method I suggested seems to work better. Sometime I may understand the whole thing.

I did try to by the lower cost version ($40) but the discount code did not work. For those like me the other issue is the discounted version only runs on 1 PC, so iffy you want Lightburn on two different computers you must buy 2

Any one else having trouble getting Lightburn to talk to the ultur laser? Any figured out how to get them to talk. The GRBL panel works fine, but I’ve yet to get Lightburn to drive or work with the laser.

I cut a 3/4” dowel then used a bench disk sander and calipers to get it just right. Note that it’s 55mm to the cooling fins, not the lens. So to focus, I just loosen the 2 z screws, put the dowel on top of the material the laser fins on the dowel and then tighten. If I could find some thumb screws to place the stock ones I’d be all set.

what do you get when you type $$ in the console? if they are talking it should dump the gcode settings. if it doesn’t right click on the Device button to reset

Best advice EVER!

It might just be. I seem to remember in the video that the elephant you were engraving was oriented so that the top was closest to the laser stand. If the right side of the stand represents the top of the piece you’re cutting, then I don’t have a problem with the origin point. Now, for other problems I DO have…

-e

Assembled, upgraded firmware and setup Lightburn. First hack is enabling the Laser Fire Button option and I learned that you need the laser connected for that to take hold.

Rock n rolling.