Quick poll for CNC SIG

We have a CNC SIG coming up on Saturday, September 19, and I am hoping to settle on a topic.

How many of you are interested in adding a laser to your CNC?

I would also like to hear from you if you’ve already added a laser or if you have any other topics you would like to suggest for the SIG meeting.

We would love to hear about any projects you are working on and anything new you’re trying.

-e

1 Like

I will be doing this as I’d like to experiment with the combination of CNCing and etching.

Interested in this.
Rex

I have a laser (7W) on my shark, but have not checked recently if the software has been fixed. The issue is the laser pulses change when doing curves which results in an uneven burn/cut. I’m sure there is a work around but don’t know it. Are you likely to cover this type of detail? Thanks, Ian

I have a laser mod in shipment, so I have done and will be doing more research. Would love to have all the details on what you have so I can see what I can find…

-e

Hi Ed I don’t have much. My intent was to use for veneer cutting. I did about 50 trials trying to find a feed & speed that would work. Straight lines were easy but curves would not consistently work. After talking with NWA at a user group I was told there is a bug in the software, the workaround did not sound viable. I’ve not revisited in months, so a patch have been released.
That said, a digital laser that can mod Z has a lot of potential. I’ll get back to it at some point.
So many fun things to do in the shop, work and responsibilities just get in the way… :wink: