Tech Support Team of Ortur Laser Master in SD Woodworking

This is Justin from Ortur Technical Support Team, we’re here forCustomer Service to answer your questions. Or if we cannot answer your questions in time, please also feel free to send us the emails at ortur@ortur3dprinter.com, thank you!

3 Likes

I don’t even have my Ortur diode laser machine yet and I already like you guys!

Thank you for being available to the members.

@Justin-Ortur, I received my new Ortur 20W yesterday. Assembly seemed to be easy, and when I hook it up to my Mac, the LightBurn software found it and added it to the program.

When I turn it on, the laser moves back to the limit switch (X axis) and stops, but it makes no movement left or right (Y axis). I have unplugged and reseated the motor cables. When I select a position in LightBurn I can get it to move on the X axis, but not the Y.

Next to the blue light on the motherboard there is a slowly flashing red light. And, when homing, I get an “Alarm:9” in then console.

Just checking, the XY drive belt seems really slack.

Any ideas?

-Ed

@Justin-Ortur, Never mind. I figured out how to tighten the belt for the XY motor, and the problem is gone…

-e

Hello!

We have a LaserMaster 2 with a 15w module. I am using standard 3mm Baltic Birch as my material.

I am unable to cut through this stock, which I should be able to easily do according to the members of the Official Ortur group of Facebook. I have tried to cut a circle using settings as slow as 10mm speed with 100% power and 12 passes…and still will not cut through. Sometimes part of the circle will cut through but never all the way around.

I have focused the laser at a height of 35mm as recommended by the group. My material is raised with a space underneath for it to “drop out” should it cut!

Also, I am noticing that when I do a circle, the shape cuts as not quite “round”. Not sure if this is related to/causing the no cut issue.

Please help. I am very frustrated.

Brian Yost

Brian, we’re not a tech support site but we do have experience with the Ortur lasers.

My reaction to your dilemma is that your expectations are too high.
I own the 15 watt Ortur and I don’t expect to cut 3mm Baltic birch.
Mainly it’s an etching machine though I do cut veneers with it.

As for circles not being round, I believe that’s been answered in these forums before.

Welcome to our discussion boards. Travis

I’ve been looking for help reference a problem I’m experience with my working Ortur 2 model.
I’m unable to finish a job as 9/10 times I get a ding on my computer the job halts and the laser rehomes itself. I’ve tried changing speed and power settings well below 40 and still experiencing the same issue.
I’m dont know what or where to look for a solution as I don’t know what to label the problem as?
I’m using lightburn on a 64bit windows 10 platform.
USB port is in proper working order as I’ve plugged several items in it that are working. I’ve tried using my Apple laptop and seeing the same thing.
I am a novice at this so I have Not gone any further than basic operations/instructional videos I’ve seen on YouTube. Please help.

Frank, you don’t mention what software you’re using. Our community comes from a background of using lasers with software called LightBurn. We chose the Ortur laser specifically because it worked with our preferred software. The author of LightBurn has focused on making his software work well with the Ortur so if you haven’t tried it then I’d recommend that as a first step. They also have an amazing online support community.

You can download the GRBL version and get a 30 day free trial.

The softward costs $40 if you choose to buy it.

Get it here:

I did include lightburn in my write up - are there different versions? If so, I will need to go back to my downloaded file to see what that spells out for me.

1 Like

My software purchase was $40 dollars and purchase yesterday for f that helps any.

If you are REALLY sure you do not have a Windows timeout issue nor a poor/noisy USB cable issue nor a vibration issue( LM machines have anti-wiggle sensors which stop the machine if it wiggles around too much ) then maybe wait until Lightburn v0.9.20 releases. It has a retry patch for a bug in Ortur’s version of GRBL which causes the connection to be lost.

Lightburn v0.9.20 is currently in beta testing.
UPDATE: fixed version number.

Misplaced decimal point, Doug. :grin:

1 Like

Hi Justin,
I am having the same or similar issue as Databaz in this thread. Only I haven’t been able to fix it myself. I just set up my Ortur M2 laser. I have a Glowforge as well, but I wanted a back up. I am getting an Alarm 9 message. I also get the message in Lightburn, “Homing fail. Could not find limit switch within search distance. Defined as 1.5 * max_travel on search and 5 * pulloff on locate phases.” And of course I’m hearing the noise of the belt slipping as it gets to the end. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Regards,
Mactoddy

Hi Justin, gotta ask why have you not been able to fix it yourself? Did you do what Databaz did to solve his problem?

Have you looked to see if the carriage is moving enough to trigger the end stop switches in both X and Y directions?

After answering the first two questions, how about you record a video, post to youtube and provide the link here. Before you record, unplug everything from your machine(computer and power) then only plug in power then manually move your laser head to the center of your workspace. Now start recording and push the power button to turn on it on.