Ortur Diode Laser Testing

Black paper and wearing the laser glasses is a must.

Hmmm, I’ll give it a try when I get my Ortur back.

1 Like

Shared by a talented artist.
PS. I have got his permission to post his photos.
If you have any good photos, want to share with other Ortur users, feel free to send to ortur@ortur3dprinter.com

Setting up for some white tile coasters. Bought 2 types of paint and made a test file for the speeds and power. Also dither vs grayscale. Dither won and so did 25mm/s 80% power.

1 Like

That’s a great array … what was your logic?
Why were the two paints a part of this?
What will you etch on the tiles?

Yes, testing the paint and determine the laser power and speed for the best contrast.

The left(SE) side has to be evaluated a bit more closely than the right. I’d first made a grayscale in Inkscape and saved the SVG and imported into Lightburn thinking it would recognize the grayscale. It did not and showed a hollow box. I exported the PNG from Inkscape and imported and it showed correctly so I just placed on the boxes already there. During the lasing it did the grayscale first and while I wasn’t watching it then rastered the boxes solid black. The result was double lasing and concealing what was previously done. BUT, I caught it before it could finish the re-burn of the 25mm/s-80% tests and you can see a thin strip of the first pass still there. But there’s enough data to indicate to me that the PP paint presents a higher contrast(darker black vs white) at 25mm/s 80% power.

I need to work on why the true grayscale burning method resulted in that very poor 3rd column output.
It is almost as if it just cuts off at a threshold value which is quite high.

Memorial Day weekend was always about the Indy 500 with my Dad so I’ve put together a image to try making a coaster with. Burning it now after generating gcode with Lightburn and sent to the laser cutter controlled with CNCjs off an rPi( in the garage since this stuff is stinky! ).

1 Like

Hi - I was puzzled by this as well. Go to move, fire (at whatever tiny percent, I think 0.25 is the lowest) then, with the laser on, hold shift and click “frame”. The laser stays on.